Famous Female Serial Killers - Jane Toppan

In 1901-02, after Jane Toppan was detained, she confessed to dozens of murders. Jane was extremely dangerous and lifted more than a little off its hinges: they would spend the rest of their lives in Taunton State Hospital to spend dying in 1938 at the age of 81. Toppan grew up in an orphanage and then as a servant. Their killing spree started in 1885 when she was a nurse to be. Jane participated in experiments with patients tweak using different combinations of drugs and chemicals on their nervous system and slide it between life and death. It has also awakened later by the process of killing approved. Toppan came with their actions for a while, especially when she began private practice, after which they collect more victims by killing their owners, and later entered her foster sister. After the killing of an elderly man named Alden Davis and two of his daughters, the family requested a toxicological investigation Davis, who appeared traces of the poison Toppan had used. Finally, she was charged with multiple murders, but she was found not guilty and declared insane.

Although no records survive of the early years Toppan, it is known that their parents were Irish immigrants, and her mother, Bridget Kelley, died of tuberculosis when she was very young. Her father, Peter Kelley, as an alcoholic and eccentric, of those who did, "Kelley, the crack" (as in crack "spinner") knew well known nickname. In later years, Kelley was the source of many local rumors about his alleged mental illness, the most popular of these is that his madness drove him finally to his own eyelids closed while working as a seamstress to sew. As with all rumors and become legends, the story is doubtful authenticity, but it reflects accurately the prevailing opinion of Peter Kelley as seriously unbalanced person.

In 1863, only a few years after the death of his wife, brought Kelley's two youngest children, the eight-year-old Delia Josephine and six-year-old Honora, the Boston Female founded Asylum, an orphanage for needy female children in 1799 by Mrs. Hannah Stillman. Kelley gave the two young girls to never see them again. Documents from the prison note that the two girls were "rescued from a miserable home."

There are no records exist of Delia and Honora experiences during their time in the institution, but in less than two years ago, in November 1864, Honora Kelley was as indentured servant in the house of Mrs. Ann C. Toppan of Lowell, Massachusetts placed. Although it was never formally adopted by the Toppans, Honora took on the name of her benefactor and eventually became known as Jane Toppan.

Delia was in the hospital until 1868 when she placed as a maid in Athol, New York at the age of 12. Later she turned to prostitution, and eventually died a penniless alcoholic, in squalid conditions.

In 1885, Toppan began training to be a nurse at Cambridge Hospital. During her stay, she used her patients as guinea pigs in experiments with morphine and atropine, they would alter their prescribed dosages to see what it means to have their nervous system. However, they would spend too much time alone with those patients who are falsified medical charts and to drift in and out of consciousness, and even to bed with them. It is not known whether a sexual activity when their victims were in this state, however, went as Jane Toppan was asked after her arrest, she replied that she derived sexual excitement from patients who are near death, back to life and then die again. Toppan would administer a drug mixture to patients how they chose their victim, lying in bed with them and keep them close to her when she died. This is very rare for the female serial killer who usually murder for material gain and not the sexual satisfaction It has been recommended for the prestigious Massachusetts General Hospital in 1889, . There, she claimed several more victims before they fired the following year. She briefly returned to Cambridge, but was soon dismissed for prescribing opiates recklessly. Then she began a career as a private nurse, which flourished despite complaints of petty theft.

She began her poisoning Spree in earnest in 1895 with the killing of their landlords. In 1899, she killed her sister Elizabeth Foster with a dose of strychnine. In 1901, Toppan moved in with the elderly Alden Davis and his family are in Cataumet (Toppan murdered himself) to him after the death of his wife to take. Within weeks they killed Davis and two of his daughters. Then she moved back to her hometown and began courting her late foster sister's husband kills his sister and poison him, so they could be used to prove by him back to health. She even poisoned themselves in order to evoke sympathy. The trick did not work, however, and he threw them out of his house.

The surviving members of the Davis family ordered a toxicology study on the youngest daughter Alden Davis. The report found that she had been poisoned, and local authorities set a police detail on Toppan. On 26 October 1901 she was arrested for murder. Until 1902 she was admitted to 11 murders. On 23 June at the Barnstable County Courthouse, she was found not guilty by reason of insanity and committed for life in the Taunton Insane Hospital.

Soon after the trial, was printed in newspapers of William Randolph Hearst, the New York Journal, which was supposed to Toppan's commitment to her lawyer, she has more than 31 people are killed, and that she wanted the jury found her insane, she finally have the opportunity to be released. Whether this really was the intention Toppan is unknown. She remained in Taunton for the rest of their lives.

Be sure to check out all the resources on this site because you never know what you might miss.

Zombies | Design Company
Copyright 2012 - Female Serial Killers - All rights reserved